Here is another round of words, this time motivated by the recent election season (and showing why I don’t get my news from political ads). All the words are adjectives that begin with the letter V. Try to keep these words and their emotional baggage OUT of your conversation this week!
Match the words on the left with the meanings on the right.
1. vitriolic a. malicious, spiteful
2. vindictive b. hateful, antagonistic, harsh
3. vituperative c. scathing, caustic, bitter
4. venomous d. stupid, lacking substance
5. virulent e. vengeful, spiteful
6. vacuous f. verbally abusive, censorious
The answers might seem almost interchangeable but aren’t. I tried not to give them away too much.
Also, sorry if the right column doesn’t line up right – I tried!
Check your answers on Merriam-Webster.com.